top of page
Autumn 2004.JPG
1974.JPG

Galleries

Our Society History

Our Society was founded shortly after the end of WW2 and enabled local people to show their efforts in the garden to have been worthwhile and possibly worthy of winning an award.

This led to more classes being introduced, such as homecrafts, handicrafts, photography and flower arranging.

Our Society has its roots in the Verwood branch of the British Legion where the originator, probably a Captain Pearce, gathered together a group of horticultural enthusiasts and amateur gardeners back in 1947.

Back in those days there was only one show a year, in the Autumn, and the village's children were encourages to enter the handicrafts section.

On 14 May 1964 the organisation which would become the Verwood and District Horticultural Society decided to leave the British Legion in Verwood.  On 7 April 1966, a resolution was passed that the Society should be created and adopted its title.

Here are a collection of images from our 76 years in Verwood!

bottom of page