The Verwood and District Horticultural Society Constitution
1. Title - The Society shall be called the Verwood and District Horticultural Society.
2. Membership - Membership shall be open to any member of the public.
3. Objects - The objects of the Society shall be :
a) Generally, to promote and extend local interest in horticulture and by...
b) Holding regular meetings for talks and demonstrations
c) Holding competitive shows of flowers, fruit and vegetables, etc.
4. Management - The managing body shall be a Committee consisting of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, and up to eleven other members of the society who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting for a period of one year after which they shall be individually eligible for re-election. Nominations for the Committee, duly seconded, shall be with the Secretary two weeks before the Annual General Meeting. The Committee shall have power to fill casual vacancies by co-option. A Quorum of the committee shall be eight members. In the absence of the Chairman and Vice Chairman at any Committee meeting the committee shall elect from amongst those present a Chairman to officiate at that meeting.
5. Auditor - The Annual General Meeting shall appoint an Honorary Auditor who shall not be a Committee member.
6. President - The Society shall have a President, appointed by the members, who shall retain the Presidency until resignation or termination of tenure by vote of a majority of members at an Annual General Meeting. The President shall be ex-officio on the Committee.
7. Hon. Life Members - The Committee may propose, for approval of the members at an Annual General Meeting, the grant of Hon. Life membership to any person who has rendered outstanding service to the Society.
8. Subscription - The Annual subscription for membership of the society shall be fixed, and altered as necessary by the Committee and shall be due for payment on 1st November. No person shall remain a member if his/her subscription is more than two months in arrears.
9. Financial Year - The financial year of the Society shall run from 1st November each year to 31st October the following year.
10. Annual General Meeting - the Annual General Meeting shall be held each year during February, at which audited accounts for the preceding year shall be produced.
11. Finance and Accounts - The society's funds shall be held at a bank selected by the Committee. The Hon. Treasurer shall be responsible for deposit and withdrawal of all funds but may hold petty cash not exceeding Fifty Pounds. All cheques drawn on behalf of the Society shall be signed by any two of the following : The Chairman; Vice-Chairman; Hon. Secretary; or Hon. Treasurer. No financial commitment of the society may be made without prior approval by the Committee. The Society's annual accounts shall be audited by the Hon. Auditor between the end of the financial year and four weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
12. Extra Ordinary General Meeting - An Extra Ordinary General Meeting (EGM) may be called at two weeks' notice by majority vote of the Committee or by written request signed, by not less that 20 of the members.
13. Dissolution - In the event of dissolution of the Society, the surplus funds after discharge of all liability, shall be donated to the Royal British Legion Welfare Fund with a caveat that it be used to ameliorate the suffering of Ex-Servicemen and women and their dependants in the Verwood area.
14. Amendment of Constitution - This shall be made only by majority vote of members at an Annual General Meeting. Written notice of any proposed amendment must be in the hands of the Hon. Secretary at least four weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
15. General Committee - The General Committee shall be the sole authority for the interpretation of these rules and its decision on this or any other matter not provided for in these rules shall be final and binding.
Amended March 2016